In the first trailer for “Dolittle,” starring Robert Downey Jr. as the doctor who can talk to animals, he’s on a quest to find a mythical island, aided by his furry and feathered cohorts and a young human apprentice (Harry Collett).
Like the 1967 version starring Rex Harrison, the film is set in the Victorian era, but there’s no sign of the pushmi-pullyu or the giant snail featured in that film.
Instead, we see Downey Jr. riding an ostrich, chatting with an octopus, telling a gorilla it’s okay to be scared during a naval battle, and facing off with a tiger — who greets him by saying, “Hello, lunch.”
The featured voice actors are:
• Rami Malek as anxious gorilla Chee-Chee
• Octavia Spencer as bird-brained duck Dab-Dab
• Kumail Nanjiani as Plimpton, a cynical ostrich
• John Cena as upbeat polar bear Yoshi
• Emma Thompson as Polynesia, a headstrong parrot who serves as Dolittle’s most trusted advisor and confidante
• Selena Gomez as Betsy the giraffe
• Ralph Fiennes as Barry the tiger
• Marion Cotillard as Tutu the fox
• Frances de la Tour as Ginko-Who-Soars
• Carmen Ejogo as Regine the lioness
• “Spider-Man” star Tom Holland as Jip the dog
• Craig Robinson as Fleming the mouse
Antonio Banderas (who appears to be the film’s villain), Michael Sheen, Jim Broadbent, and Jessie Buckley costar.
The movie opens January 17, 2020.